All you Need to Know About Consent Orders in Australia


You may already be aware of consent orders, which are made by two people who have decided, for one reason or another, to end their relationship, and these orders contain agreements made by both parties concerning the division of joint assets. This would typically include real estate, cars, jewellery and other tangible assets, and when the Family Court approves the consent orders, it becomes a legally binding agreement that both parties must adhere to.

Consent Orders in Australia

In order to submit consent orders in Australia, the format and protocol must be correct, and while you can draw up your own consent orders, most people hire the services of a family lawyer. If you and your ex-partner have come to a complete agreement regarding division of joint assets, all you need to do is contact a family lawyer.

Virtual Legal Consultations

Due to the current Coronavirus pandemic, most law firms offer a virtual service, which means you do not have to meet anyone face to face. When you make contact with a family lawyer, you can upload your agreement document and the lawyer can read this prior to having a virtual consultation. The video call might last 30-45 minutes and during this time, the lawyer would gain the information they need to proceed and draw up the consent orders on your behalf.

Acting on your Behalf

The great thing about consent orders in Australia is that you do not need to attend the court hearing, rather your lawyer will submit the orders on your behalf, and once they have been approved, the agreement is legally binding for both parties. This means you have some finality and you can plan the future without worrying about your assets, and if you have children, there would be details concerning custody, visitation rights and financial support.

Book a Virtual Consultation

If you would like to get the ball rolling with consent orders, you can arrange to have a video call with the family lawyer and within a short time, the consent orders can be submitted to the Family Court, making it a legally binding contract that cannot be changed. This is the best course of action if you are both in agreement over the division of joint assets, and if children are involved, there must be provisions in the agreement for their care and well-being.

If you and your ex-partner are in complete agreement regarding all of the details, contact a family lawyer who can draw up and submit consent orders on your behalf.

Ailbe Kash
the authorAilbe Kash